Notification of Nominations for Alameda County Bargaining Team
Greetings from the 2022 Alameda County Bargaining Team Election Committee! We are pleased to announce the nomination period for our 2022 Alameda County Bargaining Team begins May 6th and will run for 30 days until June 5th. This nomination process marks the commencement steps for negotiations, where members will nominate other members or themselves into positions to represent them at the bargaining table.
The process for this is stipulated below along with the timelines, requirements, and if applicable elections occur, should there be more nominees than seats available for that bargaining unit.
Who is Eligible for the Alameda County Bargaining Team?
- All members in good standing, meaning having signed up for membership and paying their union dues, regardless of chapter, for 2 years
- Nominee must hold a classification in one of the nine SEIU
1021 represented bargaining units, the nominee will represent the
entirety of the unit
- To find out which bargaining unit you fall under please refer to the back of the contract under the section labeled “Appendix A-1 Classification Listing in Alphabetical Order”
Nomination Period Window
- May 6th through June 5th
- All names must be submitted via the designated form by June 5th 11:59 PM. Nominees will be contacted by members of the election committee within 72 hours and they can accept or decline the nomination. To nominate someone please fill out the attached form and send it to Kimberly.Hunt@seiu1021.org, or use the online form: https://www.seiu1021.org/webform/nominate-yourself-or-someone-else-serve-our-bargaining-team, no later than June 5th by 11:59 p.m.
Election Period Window and Process
- In the event that there are more nominees than seats for any given bargaining unit, the election will run from June 14th to June 23rd.
Method of Voting
Voting will be a mix of in person and mail-in and will take place in person at the Local’s office located at 100 Oak Street, Oakland and throughout various Alameda County sites. Ballots will be sent to the members in the corresponding bargaining units the week of June 6th to receive them by the time voting begins. Members can drop off ballots at the local or at any site during the voting period, a site schedule will be produced ahead of time before the week of voting.
Method to replace a ballot
Members who wish to replace a misplaced ballot must contact the Member Resource Center (1-877-687-1021) and update their contact information and request a replacement.
Ballots must be dropped off at the Local office no later than June 23rd at 5:59 p.m. and will be counted at the SEIU 1021 Union Hall at 100 Oak Street, Oakland, California on June 24th . The Election Committee will supervise the ballot count and notify members of the results.
Challenges to or disputes arising from a Chapter election must be
submitted to the Alameda County Bargaining Team Election
Committee within three (3) working days of the submission of the
committee’s election report. Challenges must be submitted in
writing and must cite specific violation(s) of the Chapter
election rules and procedures, Chapter bylaws, or the Local 1021
Bylaws and Constitution. Challenges to the election will be
considered valid only if they cite specific violations of
election rules and procedures, Chapter bylaws, or the Local 1021
Bylaws and Constitution and if the alleged violation may have
affected the outcome of the election. The Alameda County
Bargaining Team Election Committee shall investigate and resolve
challenges within ten (10) working days of receipt of the
challenge. The Election Committee may order a re-run of all or
part of the election.
Appeals: Challenges or disputes which are denied or cannot be resolved by the Alameda County Bargaining Team Election Committee may be appealed in writing to the Local 1021 Executive Board within five (5) working days of receipt of the Election Committee’s decision. The Local 1021 Executive Board shall investigate and respond within fifteen (15) working days of the receipt of the challenge. Challenges to the election will be considered valid only if they cite specific violations of the Chapter election rules and procedures, Chapter bylaws, or the Local 1021 Bylaws and Constitution and if the alleged violation may have affected the outcome of the election.
How to Send Nominations
- Please send the attached form to Kimberly Hunt at Kimberly.Hunt@seiu1021.org in order to verify membership status and inform nominees.
Bargaining Unit Seat Positions
|2 seats (3 total but 1 seat filled by BHCS Chapter President)
|1 seat available (3 total but two seats occupied by General and SSA Chapter Presidents)
Important Dates Summarized
- May 6th 2022 – nomination period begins
- June 5th 2022 – nomination period closes
- June 8th – ballots get sent *in the event of election, site schedule will be posted online & notification to members in units going through election
- June 10th – 13th ballots land at homes
- June 14th – June 23rd voting at 100 Oak Street, at sites, and through the mail
- June 24th – ballot count at 100 Oak Street
These are the requirements for all members who wish to nominate themselves or someone else. After the bargaining team has been elected, we will send a notice informing all three chapters of who their representatives are and the next phase of negotiations will begin! Below are some commonly asked questions, if you still need more clarification please submit questions to Akemy.Bon-Flores@seiu1021.org and someone from the election committee will get back to you. Please remember to continue purpling up on Tuesdays from now until bargaining ends, when we fight we win!
Q: What happens if there are more than one candidate for allowed
A: In the event of this we would hold an election only for those members in that unit
Q: When would we get notification of an election for our bargaining unit? How will we get the notice?
A: As soon as the nomination period is over, notice will be through e-mail and online. Please make sure to check your e-mails regarding this.
Q: What will the election be like? How will we vote?
A: If there is an election we would have to do a combination of onsite and either digital/mail.
2022 Alameda County Bargaining Team Election Committee
Jose Alvarez (SSA Chapter)
John Bass (BHCS Chapter)
Pam Boyle (General Chapter)
Peter Cerutti (BHCS Chapter)
Jennifer Porter (General Chapter)
Akemy Bon-Flores (Staff)