Port of Oakland, SEIU Local 1021 2021 Chapter Board Election
ELECTION NOTICE & METHOD of NOMINATIONS
These elections shall determine Chapter Board Officers as follows:
Chapter Board Officers
- Vice President
- Chief Steward
- COPE Coordinator
The term of office shall be for two (2) years.
METHOD OF NOMINATIONS
Nominations for Chapter Board Officers must be submitted no later than Friday March 19, 2021 by 5:00 p.m. Nominations must be submitted in writing via email to Katri Jones or made at the general membership meetings on February 17, 2021
In order to run for and serve as a Chapter Board Officers, candidates shall have been members in good standing for at least one (1) year. No member shall be a candidate for more than one (1) chapter board office or seat at a time.
If candidates wish to submit written candidate statements, they must do so by submitting their statement via email to Katrijones@icloud.com by Tuesday March 23, 2021 by 5:00 p.m. The Election Committee will disseminate submitted statements to members in good standing.
ELECTION AND BALLOT COUNT
The election shall be conducted by secret ballot via an online vote from Wednesday March 31st at 7:00 a.m. to Sunday April 4th by 5:00 p.m. If you do not get a ballot by Wednesday March 31st at 7:00 a.m., you can request a duplicate ballot by call the Member Resource Center (MRC) at 1-877-687-1021 (from Monday thru Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.)
Only members in good standing are eligible to vote. Proxy voting and write-in candidates are prohibited.
The election results will be announced on Monday April 5, 2021
Election Committee Members:
- Adriana Serrano
- Katri Jones
- JoEll Thompson
Challenges: Challenges to or disputes arising from a Chapter election must be submitted to the Chapter Election Committee within three (3) working days of the submission of the committee’s election report to the Chapter Board. Challenges must be submitted in writing and must cite specific violation(s) of the Chapter election rules and procedures, Chapter bylaws, or the Local 1021 Bylaws and Constitution. Challenges to the election will be considered valid only if they cite specific violations of election rules and procedures, Chapter bylaws, or the Local 1021 Bylaws and Constitution and if the alleged violation may have affected the outcome of the election. The Chapter Election Committee shall investigate and resolve challenges within ten (10) working days of receipt of the challenge. The Election Committee may order a re-run of all or part of the election.
Appeals: Challenges or disputes which are denied or cannot be resolved by the Chapter Election Committee may be appealed in writing to the Local 1021 Executive Board within five (5) working days of receipt of the Chapter Election Committee’s decision. The Local 1021 Executive Board shall investigate and respond within fifteen (15) working days of receipt of the challenge. Challenges to the election will be considered valid only if they cite specific violations of the Chapter election rules and procedures, Chapter bylaws, or the Local 1021 Bylaws and Constitution and if the alleged violation may have affected the outcome of the election.
Please update your personal email and cell phone number by calling the MRC at 1-877-687-1021
You will not be able to vote without accurate contact info on file!
DUTIES OF THE OFFICERS
Duties of the President
- The President shall officiate at all meetings and shall be responsible for directing the implementation of directives voted on by the Chapter membership.
- The President shall be an ex-officio member of all committees
- The President shall be one of three (3) officers authorized to withdraw funds from a Chapter account, after such expenditures have been approved by the Chapter Board and/or General Membership
- The President shall assure that minutes of chapter meetings and committee meetings are recorded and reported to the General Membership
Duties of the Vice President
- The Vice President shall perform the duties of the President in their absence
- The Vice President shall act as the President in the absence of the President
- The Vice President shall be one of the three (3) officers authorized to withdraw funds from a Chapter account, after such expenditures have been approved by the Chapter Board and/or the General Membership
Duties of the Secretary
- The Secretary shall keep a correct record of the proceedings of all Chapter Board and General Membership meetings and shall provide a copy thereof to the Secretary of the Local Union upon request.
- The Secretary shall receive all correspondence and communications on behalf of the Chapter.
Duties of the Treasurer
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for Chapter account deposits and dispersals and for carrying out the duties
- The Treasurer shall be on of the three (3) officers authorized to withdraw funds from a Chapter account after such expenditures have been approved by the Chapter Board and/or General Membership
- The Treasurer shall present the Chapter financial records for audit at the direction of the Treasurer of the Local Union or their representative
Duties of the Chief Steward
- The Chief Steward shall serve as a resource for shop stewards in carrying out their duties at the worksite
Duties of the COPE Delegate
- The COPE Delegate shall be responsible for providing political information and education to the members of the chapter. They shall assist and coordinate with turn out for actions, COPE cards, and other duties related to political activities of the chapter and Local Union. The Coordinator will also be one of the chapter representatives/delegates to the Local 1021 County Cope Committee