Field Team Supervisor
San Francisco (Posted: 01/25/2019)
RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the supervision of the Area Field Director, this position has the following responsibility:
- Train and assist staff in identifying, recruiting, developing, and partnering with leaders to successfully implement the mission, goals and work of the union
- Coordinate teams of staff and members in developing and implementing industry vision, programs, and campaigns
- Challenge staff and assist to embrace change in all aspects of their work
- Help develop and direct campaigns to resolve workplace issues
- Assist staff/lead contract negotiations, campaigns and strikes
- Guide integration of politics and organizing support into the daily work of staff in the workplace
- Participate in and/or lead new organizing and political campaigns as needed
- Train, develop and hold staff accountable in all aspects of their work
- Evaluate staff; develop and implement staff development plans
- Cover for vacation and trouble shoot on particularly difficult staff assignments
- As part of supervisory team, contribute to organizational vision and manage the local’s strategic plans and campaigns
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities:
- Frame issues and articulate organizational values and priorities
- Lead and work effectively as part of a team
- Work highly independently and exercise good judgment
- Inspire, motivate, and communicate effectively with staff and members
- Bargain contracts and deal with tough employers and anti union consultants
- Work long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends
- 3+ years of experience in union or community organizing and representation
- Proven ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Proven ability to provide effective leadership
- Experience working as part of a team highly desirable
- Salaried position; may require nonstandard work hours and/or weekend and holiday work.
- Extensive travel may be required, primarily within Northern California.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license; must pass a DMV check and have a good driving record; must have auto insurance that covers business driving (minimum of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per incident bodily injury liability/$50,000 property coverage); and must possess an automobile for business use.
TO APPLY: Mail, fax or e-mail detailed resume, three references and a letter of interest to Kathryn Ballard, SEIU Local 1021; 447 29th Street, Oakland, CA 94609, fax to (510) 893-2395 or email to email@example.com. No phone calls please. The letter of interest must address the following:
- Describe how your experience prepares you for the responsibilities and duties specified in the job announcement.
- Give examples from your work experience that demonstrates your mastery of skills and knowledge listed in the job announcement.
- Please clearly indicate which position you are applying for on your cover letter