Area Field Director
Based in Santa Rosa (Posted Jan 15, 2020)
SEIU Local 1021 was founded in 2007 when ten local unions came together in Northern California to form one larger, more powerful union. Together our members are building a true 21st century union fighting to empower our members and improve our society. We are 54,000 strong – organizing and representing public service workers in cities, counties, courts, schools, private non-profits, special districts, public health care, nursing and higher education. We are looking for energetic, hard-working staff who are committed to real change, who believe in the value of work and the value of public services and who want to be part of the team that wins for workers, their families and their communities
LOCATION: Santa Rosa
RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the supervision of the Executive Director Field & Programs or Designee, this position has the responsibility to:
• Assist in creating and overseeing the implementation of 21st century internal organizing, industry and area-based plans.
• Act as internal agent of change, consistently challenging leaders and staff to think differently about their work and the new local’s vision.
• Establish an internal campaign-based culture around bargaining, internal membership recruitment/agency shop, worksite issues, growth, politics, and to defend the union from attacks.
• Work with staff within their assigned regions/areas as a team and individually to set goals, create plans to meet those goals and ensure accountability to those plans.
• Lead the development of a team approach to the work – both among staff members and between staff and member leaders.
• Work closely with member leaders in assigned regions/areas to coordinate programs and campaigns for that area.
• Integrate strategic campaign functions, politics, and new organizing into the daily work in the field.
• Coordinate, directly or through appointed staff, local-wide mobilization efforts, new member events, leadership conferences and other multi-team activities.
• Lead new organizing and political campaigns when needed.
• Identify staff training and development needs.
• Represent Local 1021 at various SEIU and other organization functions.
• Oversee the hiring, assigning, promoting, evaluating, counseling, and discipline of subordinate staff, with the approval of the Executive Director Field & Programs.
• Problem-solve and address the work-related concerns of subordinate staff.
• Trouble-shoot difficult situations and projects.
• Arrange for coverage of staff responsibilities during staff absences.
• Perform other related duties as required/assigned by the Executive Director Field & Programs.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Advanced leadership skills.
• Work effectively with members and staff from diverse ethnic, social, and economic group
• Exercise excellent judgment while working under extreme pressure.
• Establish and hold organizational priorities and standards.
• Manage leadership of teams in multiple industries, spread over wide geographic areas.
• Develop and mentor staff.
• Work effectively as part of the senior leadership team.
3+ years of supervisory experience.
5+ years of advocacy and/or organizing work.
Proven ability to develop effective strategies and lead teams in a variety of assignments.
Salaried position; may require non-standard work hours and/or weekend and holiday work.
Extensive travel may be required, primarily within Northern California.
Must possess a valid California driver’s license; must pass a DMV check and have a good driving record; must have auto insurance that covers business driving (minimum coverage of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per incident of bodily injury liability/$50,000 property damage liability, and list SEIU Local 1021 as an “additional insured” or “interested party” in order to trigger notification in the event the policy is cancelled); and must possess an automobile for business use.
TO APPLY, mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter (with the answers to the questions below), detailed resume and the name, address, and phone number of three references to Kathryn Ballard, SEIU Local 1021; 447 29th Street, Oakland, CA 94609, fax to (510) 893-2395 or e-mail your cover letter, resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in your cover letter which position you are applying for. Your cover letter should answer the following questions:
1. Describe how your experience prepares you for the” responsibilities” specified in the job
2. Give examples of your work experience that demonstrates your mastery of some of the “skills
and abilities” listed in the job announcement.
3. Describe how you work experience meets the “preferred experience” listed in the job
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
SEIU Local 1021 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified
candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or
disability. Local 1021 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively
enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.