Social and Economic Justice (SEJ) Committee Meeting
Social & Economic Justice Committee monthly meeting agenda - Thursday, December 9, 2021
- Call Meeting to Order
- Review and Approve Agenda
- Review and Approve Minutes
- SEJ Officer’s Reports
- Committee and Caucus Report Back
- Old Business: Vaccination Mandate Update, Committee/Caucus Member Recruitment
- New Business: Financial Requests
- Announcements: SEIU 1021 eBoard Elections
- Next Meeting Date: January 13, 2022
- Meeting Adjourned
Topic: SEJ Monthly Meeting 12/9/2021
Time: Dec 9, 2021 06:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 842 5281 5404
One tap mobile
+16699009128,,84252815404#,,,,*403273# US (San Jose)
+12532158782,,84252815404#,,,,*403273# US (Tacoma)
Dial by your location
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 842 5281 5404
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kcm9qTIbJC
Social & Economic Justice Committee – monthly meeting minutes - October 14, 2021
- Thursday, October 14, 2021
- Meeting called to order
- Meeting chaired by SEJ Programs Director, Alyssa Jones-Garner in absence of SEJ Chair, Derrick Boutte.
- Alyssa Jones-Garner requested motion to adopt agenda and minutes, motion passed.
- Alyssa Jones-Garner asked everyone to introduce themselves.
- Brandon Dawkins – working on Career Fair with VP of SF Theresa Rutherford and SF Regional Director Jason Klumb to be held virtually in December 2021; working on housing proposal with Nato Green to submit in contract bargaining in 2022.
- Derrick Boutte – no report.
- Harold Powell – no report.
- Alyssa Jones-Garner – no report.
- Raina Johnson – no report.
- Lavender – Eileen Berkun stated held meeting this month with just a few members, nothing to report; Alyssa Jones-Garner asked how SEJ could assist the committee in member outreach, Eileen stated committee does not have a specific request but is open to new ideas for reaching new and established members.
- Climate Justice – Alex Morrison stated priority for committee is to join the CA Labor Climate Jobs Coalition which is a group of 20 unions getting together to endorse a report breaking down a Just Transition for California; Alex stated committee will move this request to the Executive Board (eBaord) to officially endorse as a local, recently moved meeting time for committee to the 3rd week of each month; Alyssa Jones-Garner asked what would participation look like from SEIU Local 1021, Alex stated having a staff member to dedicate time to help with requests from the coalition and help develop a curriculum with committee, Alex stated Principles of Unity is an agreement between coalition members that governs how the coalition will operate.
Alyssa Jones-Garner reported the vaccination mandate meet & confers in San Francisco as well as California, through the state of health officer made several mandatory vaccination mandates in many counties, the strictest being San Francisco, October 1st, hundreds of city workers were put on paid administrative leave, leaving some departments severely understaffed, within Department of Public Health (DPH) this affects many workers including clinics; Laguna Honda, who has a who have almost 800 residents not patients, they have fewer nurses and doctors available because of this mandate, no employees from DPH have received approval of the medical exemptions accommodations requested nor the religious exemptions; SEIU Local 1021 and the City are still in negotiations over this process; the repercussions workers is paid administrative leave to receive the vaccination, review of requests for accommodations, and then Skelly leading to termination if worker remains unvaccinated; this has a lot of people completely at a standstill in regards to their future with the City and County; October 5th the SF Board of Supervisors (BOS) approved a waiver of the civil service process so that they would be allowed to hire employees on an emergency basis to fill those positions that are currently left vacant.
Alyssa Jones-Garner reported on the 2021 SEIU Local 1021 Member Convention and the experience of working together to create the leadership planks for the future direction of SEIU 1021.
New Business: No financial requests
Raina Johnson – Aurora, Colorado activists that were rallying for Elijah McClain emailed Nicole Christian to update SEIU Local 1021 that with SEIU’s help, all charges were dropped against activists.
Alyssa Jones-Garner – today was a Diversity Recruitment virtual event hosted by City and County of SF for National Disability Employment Awareness Month to share successes of the ACE Program; SF Regional Meeting will be Thursday, October 21, 2021; Tuesday, October 26, 2021 is the Workers with Disabilities Meeting.