Show Up at Tonight’s Special OUSD School Board Meeting to Speak Out Against Layoffs, School Closures
IMPORTANT: Oakland Unified School District is laying out plans to close or merge up to 19 schools over the next couple of years, with more classified staff layoffs on the table. We need your voice at tonight’s special meeting, starting at 6pm.
Come ready to speak during public comment about:
- What it means to be a parent whose child’s school is slated for closure.
- Your concerns about the lack of community engagement around school closures.
- How closing schools will cause staff layoffs, hurting families in our communities and overburdening remaining staff.
- How school closures adversely affect communities, especially Black and brown communities.
- How this is the wrong time to be closing schools. The effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, especially the turbulence of the last 2 school years, mean that our kids–and staff–need stability and security more than ever. Closing schools and laying off staff right now will just add to the turmoil.
- How much institutional memory will be lost by closing schools and laying off staff.
Zoom link for tonight’s meeting: https://ousd.zoom.us/j/83102020408