Important Bargaining Update– Action Needed!
Take Our Member Survey & Come to Our Action This Friday
Your bargaining team has met with the District several times in the last couple of weeks.
We asked the District to use some of their one-time COVID money to pay our members one-time hazard pay. We also asked for a couple of paid days for people to get vaccinated and boosted for those who haven’t, and of course we demanded more COVID leave time. Since the winter holidays, everyone has been heavily impacted by COVID. Many of our members are exhausting all their sick leave trying to cope.
All of these one-time proposals are in addition to our proposals for wage increases, retroactive COLAs, increases in longevity pay, and more.
The District countered with some willingness to provide some of the one-time money to our members; however, they wish to divide up everyone into groups giving different pots of money to different people. We know that if we travel down that road, we will end up missing a group that was equally deserving. For this reason, your team has stood firm in the belief that all SEIU classified members have been severely impacted by this pandemic and everyone has worked 300% to support the children of this District. Your team wants equity for all.
Since the State of California has announced that 10 additional COVID days will be provided, it is no coincidence that the District’s bargaining team is willing to now offer it too. However, we want to make sure it will be retroactive back to the beginning of the new year, when this new COVID wave started impacting everyone.
We are continuing to meet with the District today and will keep you updated on our progress. We are also happy to say that our brothers and sisters in SCTA have continued to support us and attend our bargaining sessions. When you see a teacher, be sure to thank them for their support.
What Can You Do to Support the Bargaining Team?
- SOLIDARITY THURSDAYS: Wear your union T-shirt every Thursday (if you have one–if you don’t, wear purple). Please note: Make sure you come to SEIU events to get a T-shirt!
- Come to our weekly COBRA (contract action team) meeting TOMORROW, Wed., February 2, at 5:30pm, to learn more about bargaining and next steps: https://seiu1021.zoom.us/j/86746482064
- Come to our NEXT ACTION this Fri., February 4, at the Serna Center to support transportation and our other members most affected by COVID. Participation in this action is to be done off work time (like on your lunch break or before or after work). You can stop by during one of the two times: 9:45-10:45 and 11-12:30pm. You will receive a T-shirt if you come to the action this Friday. Food will be provided to those who RSVP by calling the Member Resource Center at 877-687-1021. Learn more about this action here.
- Take our member working conditions survey to share your experiences working for SCUSD during COVID. Your participation will help us file unfair labor practice charges against the District. Take the survey now!
- Attend this month’s chapter meeting Thurs., February 17, from 5-6:30pm on Zoom: https://scusd.zoom.us/j/87490667294, meeting ID: 874 9066 7294, passcode: 156518.
- Come to STRIKE SCHOOL Wed., February 16, or Wed., Feb. 23, to learn more about what a strike would look like and mean for us. Register here.