Northern California (Posted 08/26/22)
SEIU Local 1021 was founded in 2007 when 10 local unions came together in northern California to form one larger, more powerful union. Together, our members are building a true 21st-century union fighting to empower and improve the lives of our members. We are 60,000 strong—organizing and representing public service workers in cities, counties, courts, schools, private non-profits, special districts, public health care, and nursing. We are looking for energetic, hardworking staff that are committed to real change, who believe in the value of work and the value of public services, and who want to be part of the team that wins for workers, their families, and their communities.
LOCATION: Northern California
EXPERIENCE: Researchers are responsible for conducting in-depth research in support of all stages of assigned campaigns. Duties vary by campaign, and may include but are not limited to the following:
- Develops and executes research work plan that reflects campaign objectives along with lead staff and member leaders.
- Coordinates campaign research, utilizing information from and about workers, employers, economic/financial research on target or industry.
- Tracks and analyzes policy issues affecting the target industry;
- Conducts and interprets basic financial analysis of public and publicly funded entities in support of bargaining and public policy work.
- Performs market analysis of target industries.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- A demonstrated commitment to progressive social change and activist experience;
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university and/or prior research experience;
- Competence in a variety of research methods (interview, computer-based, etc.) and policy analysis skills, excellent writing and speaking ability; applied experience in either public interest issues, union organizing, or public fiscal/policy analysis;
- Familiarity with a variety of computer-based research tools, basic financial concepts and good quantitative skills;
- Excellent writing ability;
- Bilingual skills desirable;
- Ability to work independently under tight deadlines and in a team environment;
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours when needed to meet campaign demands.
EXPERIENCE: 2 years experience in research related work.
REQUIREMENTS: Must possess a valid California driver’s license; must pass a DMV check and have a good driving record; must have auto insurance that covers business driving (minimum of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per incident bodily injury liability/$50,000 property coverage); and must possess an automobile for business use.
Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required for this position.
TO APPLY: Visit our online Career Center found HERE to apply. You must include a detailed résumé, cover letter indicating the position you are applying for, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three (3) references. This position is open until filled; however, the posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time. No phone calls, please.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER: SEIU Local 1021 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. Local 1021 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.