Northern California (posted 1/12/21)
RESPONSIBILITIES: Researchers are responsible for conducting in-depth research in support of all stages of assigned campaigns. Duties vary by campaign, and may include but are not limited to the following:
- Develops and executes research work plan that reflects campaign objectives along with lead staff and member leaders.
- Coordinates campaign research, utilizing information from and about workers, employers, economic/financial research on target or industry.
- Tracks and analyzes policy issues affecting the target industry;
- Conducts and interprets basic financial analysis of public and publicly funded entities in support of bargaining and public policy work.
- Performs market analysis of target industries.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- A demonstrated commitment to progressive social change and activist experience;
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university and/or prior research experience;
- Competence in a variety of research methods (interview, computer-based, etc.) and policy analysis skills, excellent writing and speaking ability; applied experience in either public interest issues, union organizing, or public fiscal/policy analysis;
- Familiarity with a variety of computer based research tools, basic financial concepts and good quantitative skills;
- Excellent writing ability;
- Bilingual skills desirable;
- Ability to work independently under tight deadlines and in a team environment;
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours when needed to meet campaign demands.
EXPERIENCE: 2 years experience in research related work.
REQUIREMENTS: Must possess a valid California driver’s license; must pass a DMV check and have a good driving record; must have auto insurance that covers business driving (minimum of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per incident bodily injury liability/$50,000 property coverage); and must possess an automobile for business use.
TO APPLY: mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter, detailed resume and the name, address, phone number of three references to Kathryn Ballard, SEIU Local 1021; 29th Street, Oakland, CA 94609, fax to (510) 893-2395 or e-mail your cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com. Please indicate in your cover letter which position you are applying for.
About SEIU Local 1021: SEIU Local 1021 was founded in 2007 when ten local unions came together in Northern California to form one larger, more powerful union. Together our members are building a true 21st century union fighting to empower our members and improve our society. We are 60,000 strong – organizing and representing public service workers in cities, counties, courts, schools, private non-profits, special districts, public health care, nursing and higher education. We are looking for energetic, hard-working staff who are committed to real change, who believe in the value of work and the value of public services and who want to be part of the team that wins for workers, their families and their communities
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
SEIU Local 1021 is an affirmative action employer and encourages
applications from all qualified
candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. Local 1021 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.