Northern California (Posted 03/15/2023)
Summary: Under the direction of the Head of Operations & Labor Relations, the Membership Director is our senior management leader responsible for setting the strategic vision and path of our Local’s Membership department that modernizes our membership operations and strengthens data collection and quality to increase membership, voluntary political contributions, and engage workers for realizing a powerful movement. This position is responsible for designing and implementing an effective dues revenue collection program that maximizes our financial revenues to invest in more worker power-building programs. In this role, the Membership Director directs, modernizes, and administers the core day-to-day functions, including union dues/political funds administration, per capita payments, and bargaining unit lists uploads. This position leads, supervises, and develops a high-performing team of membership experts to continually modernize core functions and advance the Department’s Vision.
Location: Northern California
About: SEIU Local 1021 was founded in 2007 when 10 local unions came together in northern California to form one larger, more powerful union. Together our members are building a true 21st century union fighting to empower and improve the lives of our members. We are 60,000 strong—organizing and representing public service workers in cities, counties,courts, schools, private non-profits, special districts, public health care, and nursing. We are looking for energetic, hardworking staff who are committed to real change, who believe in the value of work and the value of public services, and who want to be part of the team that wins for workers, their families, and their communities.
- Develop and implement department vision, goals, plans, and systems in alignment with Local’s vision, programs, and priorities;
- Lead and advance a culture of data competency, data leveraging, and data protection;
- Plan, organize, and coordinate a variety of large and complex projects and programs;
- Expand and streamline the collection and input of strategic and quality data into our data system;
- Modernize and leverage department data system(s), platforms, teams, and resources;
- Design and implement an efficient and effective dues revenue collection program;
- Improve department performance with metrics and standards;
- Track, identify, and apply relevant and effective industry/legal practices, technologies, systems, and work solutions;
- Integrate and improve the business intelligence application in department;
- Increase staff and members’ ability be data-competent and data-driven;
- Lead, develop, and sustain a high-performance professional team; Advance a culture of learning;
- Develop professional skills, knowledge, and abilities; Maintain learning partners with other organizations;
- Plan, organize, and direct routine department activities and
programs, including, but not limited to:
Union Dues administration and enforcement;
Per Capita Tax Calculation and Reporting;
Bargaining Unit List Entry;
Membership Sign UP and PAC contribution processing.
- Build constructive and healthy field, program, and operations partnerships grounded in the Local’s mission;
- Assist in tracking, reporting, and projecting revenues for budgeting purposes;
- Provide data insights and actionable data with data visualizations;
- Assist in establishing and evolving our data ethics;
- Design and maintain paperless-based operations and workflow;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong collaborative communicator;
- Thrive and perform successfully in a fast-paced environment and in face of ambiguity and complexity;
- Strong project management skills;
- Maintain the highest level of integrity, judgment, confidentiality, and discretion;
- Work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
Core Competencies: The following competencies have been identified as critical for success in the role and will be referred to during the selection process.
- Commitment to helping our members’ current and future needs. Always providing prompt and courteous service;
- Willingly shares expertise and important or relevant information with team members;
- Clearly conveys information and ideas to individuals and groups through a variety of communication methods;
- Continually seeks to improve work processes. Demonstrates the ability to use systems and technology to improve ways of working;
- Strives for excellence and efficiency;
- Ability to adjust priorities. Approaches change positively and adjust behaviors accordingly.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- 4 years experience in various areas of database management;
- 3+ years’ experience supervising professional staff;
- Proven leadership experience;
- Expertise in MS Excel and analysis;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively build teamwork;
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills.
- Business Intelligence programming and application experience;
- Strong competency in UnionWare;
- 1+ years working for a labor union;
- 2+ years’ experience in senior management experience.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: The salary range starts at $128,098 based on qualifications and experience. SEIU Local 1021 offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
To Apply: Visit our online Career Center found HERE to apply. You must include a detailed résumé, a cover letter indicating the position you are applying for, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three (3) references. This position is open until filled; however, the posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time. No phone calls, please.
Your cover letter should answer the following questions:
- Describe how your experience prepares you for the “responsibilities” specified in this job announcement.
- Give examples of your work experience that demonstrates your mastery of some of the “skills and abilities” listed in this job announcement.
- Describe how your work experience meets the “preferred experience” listed in the job announcement.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER: SEIU Local 1021 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. Local 1021 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.