East Bay Field Team Supervisor
East Bay (Posted 10/03/2023)
SEIU Local 1021 was founded in 2007 when ten local unions came together in Northern California to form one larger, more powerful union. Together our members are building a true 21st-century union fighting to empower our members and improve our society. We are over 60,000 strong, organizing and representing public service workers in cities, counties, courts, schools, private non-profits, special districts, public health care, nursing, and higher education. We are looking for energetic, hard-working staff who are committed to real change, who believe in the value of work and the value of public services, and who want to be part of the team that wins for workers, their families, and their communities.
LOCATION: East Bay
RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the supervision of the Area Field Director, this position has the following responsibility:
- Train and assist staff in identifying, recruiting, developing, and partnering with leaders to successfully implement the mission, goals, and work of the union
- Coordinate teams of staff and members in developing and implementing industry vision, programs, and campaigns
- Challenge staff and assist to embrace change in all aspects of their work
- Help develop and direct campaigns to resolve workplace issues
- Assist staff/lead contract negotiations, campaigns, and strikes
- Guide integration of politics and organizing support into the daily work of staff in the workplace
- Participate in and/or lead new organizing and political campaigns as needed
- Train, develop, and hold staff accountable in all aspects of their work
- Evaluate staff; develop and implement staff development plans
- Cover for vacation and troubleshoot on particularly difficult staff assignments
- As part of supervisory team, contribute to organizational vision and manage the local’s strategic plans and campaigns
- Other duties as assigned
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Frame issues and articulate organizational values and priorities
- Lead and work effectively as part of a team
- Work highly independently and exercise good judgment
- Inspire, motivate, and communicate effectively with staff and members
- Bargain contracts and deal with tough employers and anti-union consultants
- Work long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends
- 3+ years of experience in union or community organizing and representation
- Proven ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Proven ability to provide effective leadership
- Experience working as part of a team is highly desirable
- Salaried position; may require nonstandard work hours and/or weekend and holiday work.
- Extensive travel may be required, primarily within Northern California.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license; must pass a DMV check and have a good driving record; must have auto insurance that covers business driving (minimum of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per incident bodily injury liability/$50,000 property coverage); and must possess an automobile for business use.
Salary and Benefits: The salary range starts at $116,701 based on qualifications and experience. SEIU Local 1021 offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
To Apply: Visit our online Career Center found HERE to apply. You must include a detailed résumé, a cover letter indicating the position you are applying for, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three (3) references. This position is open until filled; however, the posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time. No phone calls, please.
Your cover letter should answer the following questions:
- Describe how your experience prepares you for the” responsibilities” specified in the job announcement.
- Give examples of your work experience that demonstrates your mastery of some of the “skills and abilities” listed in the job announcement.
- Describe how your work experience meets the “preferred experience” listed in the job announcement.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER: Local 1021 is an affirmative action employer and encourage applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. Local 1021 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.