Data Analyst/Database Specialist
Location: Oakland (Posted 9/30/21)
SEIU Local 1021 was founded in 2007 when ten local unions came together in Northern California to form one larger, more powerful union. Together our members are building a true 21st-century union fighting to empower our members and improve our society. We are 60,000 strong – organizing and representing public service workers in cities, counties, courts, schools, private non-profits, special districts, public health care, nursing, and higher education. We are looking for energetic, hard-working staff who are committed to real change, who believe in the value of work and the value of public services, and who want to be part of the team that wins for workers, their families, and their communities.
LOCATION: Oakland, CA
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES: While using existing technologies to meet the enterprise database needs of a large membership organization, the Data Analyst/Database Specialist will be a key player in shaping the union’s future data systems. Tracking and use of membership data is critical to the multiple campaigns of the union. Database reporting and analysis is a key element of this position. Our UnionWare membership database currently uses several reporting mechanisms including its native reporting features, Excel, Microsoft Power BI and SharePoint PBI embed, so an in-depth understanding of Excel and Microsoft Power BI are essential requirements for this position.
Additionally, an understanding of relational database principles; data dependencies; performance tuning and normalization of data are needed.
The Data Analyst/Database Specialist will also be responsible for training of staff on various software packages, including UnionWare and Microsoft Office, and should be able to present information either in a remote session or in person in a manner that is appropriate to the trainee’s level of understanding. The ideal candidate will possess strategic vision in designing both the content and delivery methods in order to produce effective learning outcomes.
The Data Analyst/Database Specialist will also be expected to perform the tasks of other IT Team members at a general level of competence when others are not available. This would include ability to diagnose simple desktop/laptop problems (e.g., dead power supply, loose boards or cable connections, file or application corruption), and perform basic tasks such as application installation or desktop troubleshooting with a minimum of external support. Ability to assist off-site staff with problem detection and resolution remotely.
Works independently, managing multiple deadlines. Reports to I.T.Director, and works closely with Membership Department. Good interpersonal skills, able to communicate with people at all levels of IT comprehension. Able to translate from expressed needs of various constituencies into deliverable reports, dashboards, labels, and spreadsheets. Attention to detail and ability to handle sensitive information discreetly.
The candidate should be able to analyze the processes and procedures involved in the flow of information through the Local. They will be required to document workflow, and provide tools, in the form of software requirements and procedures, to improve the accuracy, efficiency and accountability of task completion by staff.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- High-level expert working knowledge and skills in Microsoft Excel
- Good working knowledge and experience with Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) framework specifically in the context of Power BI
- Experience with modern integration API standards such as RESTful, web hooks, JSON parsing and understanding of HTTP requests and mechanics
- Microsoft Power BI Desktop, PBI embed, Azure PBI service and the entire ecosystem required to launch a fully functional end-to-end reporting solution based on Power BI
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Azure Analysis Services as data warehousing hosting platform
- Ability to work effectively with minimum supervision
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks
- Superior understanding of data structures and elements; queries and mechanics of a typical database
- Excellent data analysis skills
- On-prem DB gateway infrastructure and Azure DB replication techniques
- Ability to train and support end users with all aspects of data retrieval; formatting and basic data manipulation in Excel or Word
- Ability to engage and experience in DB architecture level design projects for creating data scalable infrastructure to satisfy business needs
- Prior work experience with labor organizations
- Experience with Microsoft Power BI and all of the components associated with its ecosystem in a hybrid cloud and on-prem environment
- Experience with Union Ware and/or union membership database systems.
- Willingness to work irregular and long hours, including weekends and holidays, to attend required evening and weekend events/meetings.
- Extensive travel may be required, primarily within Northern California.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license; pass a DMV check, and have a good driving record
- Have auto insurance that covers business driving (minimum of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per incident bodily injury liability/$50,000 property coverage); and must possess an automobile for business use.
Salary and Benefits: The current salary range is $65,699 – $107,908 and is based on qualifications and experience. SEIU Local 1021 offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Including fully employer-paid family health coverage (including domestic partners), life insurance, a defined-benefit pension plan, 401(k) plan, and generous paid leave time. This position is represented by the Communications Workers of America (CWA).
To Apply: Visit our online Career Center found to apply (SEIU Local 1021 Career Center). You must include a detailed resume, cover letter indicating the position you are applying for, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three (3) references. This position is open until filled; however, the posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time. No phone calls, please.
Hiring: We are committed to hiring staff who reflect our membership and model the unity and equity that we seek to create in our country. For example, women, LGBTQI, people of color, and immigrants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer: SEIU Local 1021 is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified candidates of all races, ethnicities, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, marital statuses, religions, or who have a disability. Local 1021 is committed to ensuring fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.