Customer Service Specialist
Oakland (Posted 03/28/2022)
We are looking for an experienced customer service professional to fill our Customer Service Specialist position that provides critical resources, guidance, and support to members and staff of our organization.
SEIU 1021 is a diverse, worker-driven 21st Century Union organizing a progressive movement to build a just and fair society for all workers and communities. We are a strong and resilient organization of 60,000 public service workers in Northern California, who work to make our cities, schools, colleges, counties, and special districts safe and healthy places to work, live, and raise our families. We value human dignity, equality, solidarity, and the principles of democracy.
At SEIU 1021, we believe providing our customers with solutions, quality service, and resources is fundamental to building a sustainable and thriving progressive union. Our Customer Service Specialist makes a positive difference in our justice work by providing and supporting our members and staff of SEIU 1021 with important information regarding our Union Programs and a comprehensive range of resources. In this role, the Customer Service Specialist is responsible for the following:
- Responding to and supporting members and staff on inquiries through multiple communication platforms, such as email, phone, chat video, and in-person
- Guiding, resourcing, and providing technical support to members and staff on technology tools available through our Customer Service Center
- Conduct outreach and engagement with our members to drive our justice programs
- Tracking and following up on member inquiries in our database system
Pay and Benefits:
Our hourly pay rate range for the Customer Service Specialist starts at $27.60/hr. We pay a competitive pay rate based on qualifications and experience. In addition, we provide a generous benefits package, including fully paid Kaiser medical and a retirement pension.
- Bilingual in Spanish, Mandarin, or Cantonese
- Bachelor’s degree or high school diploma with a minimum of three years experience in an office-based clerical setting
- Excellent English grammar and spelling skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Office Suite
- Computer literacy is required, and working knowledge of a database
- Accurate typing skills over 45 words a minute
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, capable of interacting professionally, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work well in sensitive situations in person or on the telephone
- Strong analytical and judgment skills
- Solid organization skills, with an ability to stay focused and prioritize work assignments
- Excellent attention to detail
- Background as a public employee or with labor unions desirable
- Fluency in a second language is preferred, but not required
- Applicants must successfully complete a clerical skills assessment test
- Proof of Full COVID 19 Vaccination
Visit our online Career Center found HERE to apply. You must include a detailed résumé, a cover letter indicating the position you are applying for, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three (3) references. This position is open until filled; however, the posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time. No phone calls, please.
We are committed to hiring staff who reflect our membership and model the unity and equity that we seek to create in our country. For example, women, LGBTQI, people of color, and immigrants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Affirmation Action Employer:
Local 1021 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. Local 1021 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.