East Bay (posted 1/12/ 21)
Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Communication Director, this position is responsible for all aspects of communication in support of SEIU Local 1021 core purposes.
Location: Northern California
Examples of Duties:
- Design a strategic campaign plan that accomplishes member goals through traditional and new media platforms. Candidate will be required to present on-going campaign plan to Communications Director with expected deliverables and deadlines.
- Design, write and edit publications, talking head pieces, broadcast scripts, in-depth political pieces, brochures, newsletters and feature stories intended for both members and the public.
- Develop curriculum, materials and training for staff and members on various communications methods.
- Regularly update and maintain campaign templates, photo gallery and communications information that are easily accessible to staff.
- Coordinate all aspects of press conferences and media events, including preparation and distribution of press releases and advisories, collecting information, quotes and contact information and prepping training leaders to speak to the press.
- Capture and edit photos and video for production materials.
- Coordinate communication throughout the local through publications, videos and website.
- Maintain and update SEIU Local 1021 website with campaign and member specific information.
Skills and Abilities:
- Be forward-thinking, bold, creative and not afraid to think out of the box.
- Ability to think strategically about messaging and implementation of work into multiple communications platforms.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- High level of ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to work under pressure, with minimal supervision and be well organized and self-motivated.
- Ability to exercise good judgment.
- Ability to make good use of union resources and other available tools.
- Ability to work effectively with members and staff from diverse ethnic, social and economic groups.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
- Ability to travel all over northern California talking to workers and members of the public to gather photos, interviews and conduct/ set up press conferences.
At least two years’ experience in communication programs for union members and staff is desired. Related experience will be given consideration.
- Salaried position; may require nonstandard work hours and/or weekend and holiday work.
- Extensive travel may be required, primarily within Northern California.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license; must pass a DMV check and have a good driving record; must have auto insurance that covers business driving (minimum of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per incident bodily injury liability/$50,000 property coverage); and must possess an automobile for business use.
SEIU Local 1021 was founded in 2007 when ten local unions came together in Northern California to form one larger, more powerful union. Together our members are building a true 21st century union fighting to empower our members and improve our society. We are 54,000 strong – organizing and representing public service workers in cities, counties, courts, schools, private non-profits, special districts, public health care, nursing and higher education. We are looking for energetic, hard-working staff who are committed to real change, who believe in the value of work and the value of public services and who want to be part of the team that wins for workers, their families and their communities.