based in the East Bay, CA (Posted: 08/23/2019)
SEIU Local 1021 was founded in 2007 when ten local unions came together in Northern California to form one larger, more powerful union. Together our members are building a true 21st century union fighting to empower and improve the lives of our members. We are 54,000 strong – organizing and representing public service workers in cities, counties, courts, schools, private non-profits, special districts, public health care and nursing. We are looking for energetic, hard-working staff who are committed to real change, who believe in the value of work and the value of public services and who want to be part of the team that wins for workers, their families and their communities.
LOCATION: Northern California
RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the supervision of the Executive Director Field & Programs or Designee, this position has the responsibility to:
· Develop, implement and manage the local’s communications programs.
· Lead, supervise, develop, educate, and discipline staff.
· Work with union leadership and staff to develop and implement strategic communications programs for bargaining, organizing, legislative, and community outreach programs and internal communication.
· Act as a strategic advisor to the Officers and an integral part of the union’s leadership team.
· Develop strategic communications for specific member education and engagement, programs, contract, organizing and political campaigns in collaboration with other local Directors.
· Develop, implement and manage member communication programs, including newsletters, leaflets, web & social media, electronic communications and direct mail.
· Oversee development and production of all union publications including a variety of written and graphic materials.
· Work with vendors and consultants, prepare production budgets and resolve production conflicts with suppliers.
· Work in coordination with the union’s Staff Development and Member Engagement Director to develop curriculum, materials and training for staff and members.
· Identify and engage opportunities to expand the union’s brand identity with union members, other unions, legislators, and the public.
· Plan and manage strategic media and press outreach programs to raise awareness of the union’s issues, including development of a proactive strategy and message.
· Develop, plan, and implement paid advertising, including supervising production and placement of radio and newspaper ads.
· Build relationships with reporters and respond to media inquiries.
· Plan press conferences and other events designed to communicate the union’s message to the general public and other targeted audiences.
· Work with union leadership to plan and prepare for the union’s convention and other events.
· Perform other related duties as required/assigned by the Lead Director.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Excellent writing and editing skills; experience working with the news media.
· Familiarity with web site development, social media platforms, and digital organizing.
· Ability to work independently, manage multiple high-intesity projects, and meet deadlines.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to communicate and interact effectively with union leadership and union members.
· Ability to think strategically about messaging and implementation of work product across multiple communication platforms.
· Ability to lead teams effectively.
· A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
· 3+ years of experience managing a communications department; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
· Previous experience with the labor movement or other progressive organizations.
· Demonstrated understanding and application of graphic design principles.
· Significant experience managing, leading and motivating staff.
· Salaried position; may require nonstandard work hours and/or weekend and holiday work.
· Extensive travel may be required, primarily within Northern California.
· Must possess a valid California driver’s license; must pass a DMV check and have a good driving record; must have auto insurance that covers business driving (minimum coverage of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per incident of bodily injury liability/$50,000 property damage liability, and list SEIU Local 1021 as an “additional insured” or “interested party” in order to trigger notification in the event the policy is cancelled); and must possess an automobile for business use.
TO APPLY, mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter (with the answers to the questions below), detailed resume and the name, address, and phone number of three references to Kathryn Ballard, SEIU Local 1021; 447 29th St., Oakland, CA 94609, fax to (510) 893-2395 or e-mail your cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com. Please indicate in your cover letter which position you are applying for. Your cover letter should answer the following questions:
1. Describe how your experience prepares you for the” responsibilities” specified in the job announcement.
2. Give examples of your work experience that demonstrates your mastery of some of the “skills and abilities” listed in the job announcement.
3. Describe how you work experience meets the “preferred experience” listed in the job announcement.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
SEIU Local 1021 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion or disability.
Local 1021 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.