Administrative/ Operations Coordinator
SEIU Local 1021 was founded in 2007 when ten local unions came together in Northern California to form one larger, more powerful union. Together our members are building a true 21st-century union fighting to empower our members and improve our society. We are 60,000 strong – organizing and representing public service workers in cities, counties, courts, schools, private non-profits, special districts, public health care, nursing, and higher education. We are looking for energetic, hard-working staff who are committed to real change, who believe in the value of work and the value of public services, and who want to be part of the team that wins for workers, their families, and their communities.
Summary: Working under the direction of local management, the position provides support and programmatic assistance to meet SEIU’s Together We Rise goals, and to support the transformation of our Local. This position is responsible for senior level administrative work in support of various programs and overall organizational needs. This position is a senior administrative level confidential position providing confidential support to local management and may be assigned special projects by management staff, including organizing various components needed to initiate, run and conclude projects. In addition, this position may lead/direct clerical staff in various Local 1021 offices.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
The Administrative/Operations Coordinator’s primary responsibility is to provide administrative and operational support to achieve our Vision for Power. The Administrative/Operations Coordinator duties listed below are representative of the position:
- Provide administrative and technical assistance to union officers, union leaders and senior staff in support of the Local’s mission
- Prepare presentation materials
- Serve as administrative support for designated committees and workgroups
- Prepare correspondence, forms, newsletters, flyers and reports to assist in maintaining regular and effective communication with workers in assigned jurisdictions
- Work with union leadership to ensure effective meetings, sound fiscal practices, and good internal communication
- Arrange staff travel and provide logistical support
- Perform backup function for other administrative staff during vacation or other absences
- Technical Knowledge
- Responsible for proficiently using, educating, providing technical support to staff, and assisting on the adoption of the Local’s technology platforms
- Accurately review, enter and audit data into Unionware for tracking membership, contract management, grievances and organizing campaigns
- Perform specialized, technical duties required to support the specific responsibilities of the supervisor assigned
- Cultivate a learning culture by coaching and mentoring assigned staff to increase capacity
- Identify and promote new processes or procedures for working more efficiently and effectively
- Provide day-to-day general administrative support to union leadership
- Screen telephone calls and respond to routine and moderately complex inquiries to support Field and Program staff
- Support purchasing for the office, meetings, and retreats
- Support scheduling for all aspects of the recruiting process, including initial interviews, in-person interviews and reference checks
- Prepare interview materials and provide onsite coordination during interviews
- Assist in the coordination and participation in labor union activities such as encouraging non-members to become members by assisting with new member sign up and COPE campaigns
- Manage assigned facility responsibilities, such as vendor relations, document and advise on needs for equipment repairs, and monitor and manage facilities security systems
- Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications and Special Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or High School diploma with equivalent experience
- Minimum of three (3) years of administrative experience
- Familiarity with a multi-office, organizational environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent English grammar and spelling skills
- Accurate typing skills over 65 words a minute
- Outstanding data entry skills
- Must be accurate, timely, detail oriented, and maintain a degree of confidentiality
- Ability to be an organizational leader and develop staff. Set a strong example for work expectations and organizational commitment
- Excellent punctuality and attendance
- Strong project management skills, organizational, prioritization and follow through skills; ability to manage large volume of electronic data and paperwork in an organized, detailed and accurate manner
- Highly motivated and able to adapt to a fast-paced work environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be cordial and have a great deal of ethics, integrity, and high regard to confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently under general directives and as part of a team.
- Requires the exercise of independent judgment and discretion
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse staff
Core Competencies: The following competencies have been identified as critical for success in the role and will be referred to during the selection process
· Commitment to helping our members’ current and future needs. Always providing prompt and courteous service
· Willingly shares expertise and important or relevant information with team members
· Clearly conveys information and ideas to individuals and groups through a variety of communication methods
· Continually seeks to improve work processes. Demonstrates the ability to use systems and technology to improve ways of working
· Strives for excellence and efficiency
· Ability to adjust priorities. Approaches change positively and adjusts behaviors accordingly.
· Must possess a valid California driver’s license; pass a DMV check, and have a good driving record
· Have auto insurance that covers business driving (minimum of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per incident bodily injury liability/$50,000 property coverage), and must possess an automobile for business use.
Salary and Benefits: Salary starts at $37.06 and is based on qualifications and experience.. SEIU Local 1021 offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Including fully employer-paid family health coverage (including domestic partners), life insurance, a defined-benefit pension plan, 401(k) plan, and generous paid leave time. This position is represented by the Communications Workers of America (CWA).
To Apply: Visit our online Career Center found to apply (SEIU Local 1021 Career Center). You must include a detailed resume, cover letter indicating the position you are applying for, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three (3) references. This position is open until filled; however, the posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time. No phone calls, please.
Hiring: We are committed to hiring staff who reflect our membership and model the unity and equity that we seek to create in our country. For example, women, LGBTQI, people of color, and immigrants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer: SEIU Local 1021 is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified candidates of all races, ethnicities, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, marital statuses, religions, or who have a disability. Local 1021 is committed to ensuring fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.