Northern California (Posted 08/07/2023)
Summary: This position will report to the Finance Manager and will handle the general accounting and reporting for all invoicing, payments, and receivables. This Accounting Specialist will also assist in processing payroll and payroll-related benefits, preparing financial statements, and bank reconciliations, calculating monthly portfolio performances, and assisting with month-end accounting functions.
Location: Northern California
Essential Responsibilities: This position’s essential responsibility is to maintain accounts payable, receivables, payroll, and the general ledger in an efficient and effective manner as defined within the guidelines of the Local’s control structure. Including preparing schedules of necessary accounts for annual and external audits. The Accounting Specialist duties listed below are representative of the position:
- Provides professional accounting support to the Local’s accounting functions, including Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, and General Accounting;
- Perform day-to-day financial transactions, including verifying, classifying, computing, posting, and recording all accounts payable/receivable transactions in computerized accounts payable system to ensure Generally Accepted Accounting Principles are being adhered to;
- Perform general accounting tasks, such as G/L account reconciliation and month-end closing, and other routine accounting projects;
- Prepare and process the biweekly payroll and payroll-related benefits and maintain payroll records;
- Ensure proper documentation is received to invoice and that coding of invoices and credit memos is accurate;
- Pays invoices by verifying transaction information, scheduling and preparing disbursements, obtaining authorization of payment;
- Prepare check disbursements to ensure timely payment of vendor services to maintain positive vendor relationship;
- Facilitates payment of vendors, which may include verification of federal ID numbers, reviewing purchase orders, and resolving discrepancies;
- Perform timely reconciliations of accounts payable/receivable, employee expenses accounts, and credit card statements;
- Validate and set up new vendors, ensuring all appropriate documentation is obtained. Coordinate payment terms, initiate and respond to vendor inquiries;
- Enforcement of company policies as they relate to invoice approvals and expenses to include auditing and monitoring of the employee’s adherence to expense reimbursement policies;
- Adhere to all reporting deadlines with regard to processing invoices;
- Code documents that require knowledge in determining the proper classification of expenditure codes and accounting codes;
- Prepare, post, verify, and record banking transactions related to union member dues payments and transactions;
- Prepares journal entries, maintains ledgers, reconciles and analyzes specific general and account ledgers;
- Review and process employee expense reports and ensure compliance with Local’s and expense policies;
- Verifies employee benefit invoices by verifying coverage and costs;
- Assists with accounting records and ledgers by reconciling monthly statements and transactions;
- Maintains department filing system to ensure the expeditious retrieval of information
- Contributes to team effort by providing backup support and accomplishing related results as needed;
- Maintain confidentiality at all times, along with the ability to emphasize customer service both internally and externally;
- Excellent oral and written communication with customers, vendors, and employees
- Account reconciliation as necessary.
Research and Analysis:
- Meets accounting operational standards by contributing financial information to strategic plans and reviews; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; resolving problems; identifying system improvements;
- Meets accounting financial standards by providing accounting department annual budget information; monitoring expenditures; identifying variances; implementing corrective actions;
- Audits accounts to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations; coordinates with supervisor in providing needed information for the annual external audit;
- Interprets accounting data; creates and analyzes accounting reports;
- Maintain accounting records; research and resolve any discrepancies;
- Monitors the financial records of an assigned accounting area;
- Presents recommendations on short- and long-term financial objectives and policies;
- Identifies and recommends updates to accounting processes and procedures;
- Consults with supervisor on fiscal administration and budget procedures;
- Prepares periodic financial statements and reports for internal use;
- Participate in problem-solving to identify systemic (organizational, processes, and systems) problems/issues and define and present solutions.
- Assist in enhancing workflow processes to increase productivity and service to members;
- Manage and complete special projects as assigned, including research and planning;
- Responsible for interacting and providing professional-level accounting support to Local management and union members;
- Respond to member inquiries, including the necessary coordination and calculation of time required to complete the requested task;
- Provide input and recommendations to enhance the operation and effectiveness of the department;
- Participate in meetings, actions, presentations, and trainings;
- Assist in the coordination and participation in labor union activities, such as encouraging non-members to become members by assisting with new member sign-up and COPE campaigns;
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities;
- May provide cross-training to other Accounting staff.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications and Special Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or high school diploma with a minimum of three years of payroll/accounting experience;
- Outstanding data entry skills;
- Proven, solid Excel skills and proficiency with automated accounting systems (Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains);
- Account reconciliation experience is highly desired;
- Highly motivated and able to adapt to a fast-paced work environment;
- Demonstrated effective organizational and project management skills;
- Excellent English grammar and spelling skills;
- Accurate typing skills over 45 words a minute;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, capable of interacting professionally, both verbally and in writing;
- Must be cordial and have integrity and high regard for confidentiality;
- Ability to work well in sensitive situations in person or on the telephone;
- Strong analytical and judgment skills;
- Solid organization skills, with an ability to stay focused and prioritize work assignments;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Applicants must successfully complete a clerical skills assessment test.
Core Competencies: The following competencies have been identified as critical for success in the role and will be referred to during the selection process:
- Commitment to helping our members’ current and future needs. Always providing prompt and courteous service;
- Willingly shares expertise and important or relevant information with team members;
- Clearly conveys information and ideas to individuals and groups through a variety of communication methods;
- Continually seeks to improve work processes. Demonstrates the ability to use systems and technology to improve ways of working;
- Strives for excellence and efficiency;
- Ability to adjust priorities. Approaches change positively and adjust behaviors accordingly.
Salary and Benefits: Salary starts at $30.89/hourly and is based on qualifications and experience. SEIU Local1021 offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Including fully employer-paid family health coverage(including domestic partners), life insurance, a defined-benefit pension plan, a 401(k) plan, and generous paid leave time. This position is represented by OPEIU Local 29.
To Apply: Visit our online Career Center found HERE to apply. You must include a detailed résumé, a cover letter indicating the position you are applying for, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three (3) references. This position is open until filled; however, the posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time. No phone calls, please.
Hiring: We are committed to hiring staff who reflect our membership and model the unity and equity that we seek to create in our country. For example, women, LGBTQI, people of color, and immigrants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer: SEIU Local 1021 is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified candidates of all races, ethnicities, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, marital statuses, religions, or who have a disability. Local 1021 is committed to ensuring fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.