Together, we bargain a new contract with the City and County of SF
Or, get the SF Citywide Paper Nomination Form to be faxed to (415) 431-6241,
Or email to Tiya.Thlang@seiu1021.org.
In 2017, we’ll begin bargaining with the City and County of San Francisco for a fair contract in the midst of raising income inequality, short staffing and increased workload. We anticipate an uphill battle to lift wages, and restore and expand city services that were reduced during the great recession.
In October 2016, our SEIU 1021 City-wide Bargaining Team will be elected and negotiations with the City will follow early 2017.
Through the collective bargaining process we gain protections and win contract terms that enhance our working conditions and quality of life. The process ends when our new contract is ratified by our members and submitted to the Board of Supervisors for approval.
EXPAND AND RESTORE CITY SERVICES
City leaders continue to prioritize tax breaks to profitable corporations and CEOs over our families and the San Francisco residents we serve. The City-wide Contract Campaign will champion the San Francisco we need, not Tech and Downtown greed. Together, we’ll link arms with San Francisco residents, elected leaders, and community allies to amplify our united message of expanding and restoring public services.
In January 2017, we expect a huge fight with our employer over fair wages, affordable healthcare, better working conditions and quality public services.
BE PART OF THE BARGAINING TEAM
Nominate yourself or someone you know in your chapter that will represent your values during 2017 bargaining!
BARGAINING TEAM ELECTION TIME LINE
The current contract between SEIU 1021 City-wide and the City & County of San Francisco expires June 30, 2017. We have many other deadlines for action and decision before then.
Our first deadline is to complete Bargaining Team elections by October 18, 2016 so we have ample time for member surveys, training, research, writing proposals and negotiations.
AUG. 9 – SEPT. 8 – NOTICE of ELECTION & NOMINATIONS
The Notice will be posted on www.SFFIGHT.org and Union bulletin boards at your worksite(s). Any member may nominate himself/herself or another member in their Chapter by Sept. 8. The Election Committee will verify eligibility of each nomination.
OCTOBER 9 – POSTING of ELIGIBLE CANDIDATES & CAMPAIGNING
Eligible candidates’ names will be posted on www.SFFIGHT.org. The exact date, time & location of voting will also be posted on Union bulletin boards at your worksite(s) by October 9.
OCTOBER 10 – 18 – VOTING
You must vote in person. Voting will take place at various worksites. There is NO proxy voting. Each Chapter will have at least one voting session. Large Chapters will have multiple sessions. An opportunity to vote will be provided for night, day and swing shifts as well as one weekend day for 24/7 departments.
OCT 18 – VOTE COUNT
Ballots will be counted for all chapters on OCT. 18 at 5:30 PM at the SF Union Office. The results of the elected Bargaining Team members and alternates will be posted at: www.SFFIGHT.org.
THE BARGAINING TEAM Election Process:
Every chapter is allocated at least one Bargaining Team Member. Larger Chapters are entitled to additional Bargaining Team Members. For every 250 members in a chapter, they receive one Bargaining Team Member.
Larger Chapters who have more than one team member will vote for the number of team members the chapter is allocated. The highest vote getters, per classification will be on the team. This ensures that no classification dominates the team members.
Runners-up will be alternates, who will attend bargaining team meetings when the regular team member cannot.
REQUIREMENTS OF A SEIU 1021 BARGAINING TEAM MEMBER
- Must be a member of SEIU 1021.
- Must be willing and able to put in the time. Most meetings are during the day where you are released from work duties and paid by the City as a scheduled workday. Often the meetings go into the evening and are sometimes on weekends. You don’t lose pay but you also do not get overtime and sometimes work more than eight hours in a day. If you are sick or unable to attend you must call as soon as possible to be able to have an “alternate” replace you or your Chapter goes unrepresented.
- Must be willing to learn new things.
- Must represent all members not just their Chapter or classification.
- Must be committed to sharing information with coworkers and work collaboratively with the Contract Action Team (CAT). This involves updates, meetings and listening as well as talking.
DESIRED QUALITIES OF A TEAM MEMBER
There are many helpful qualities that most Bargaining Team members should strive to possess. Team members should:
- Be organized
- Have integrity
- Inspire confidence in judgment & ability
- Have a sense of humor, but not at others expense
- Be a good communicator
- Be willing to assess risks and outcomes
- Be able to tolerate tense situations and conflict
- Be able to work with others
- Be able to think strategically
Get the full notice: SF Citywide Bargaining Team Elections 2017